JCSO Hiring Process
This is a general outline of the process the Jerome County Sheriff's Officeuses in evaluating potential new employees:
Preliminary applications review
Once we have received your application and other requiredmaterials, they are thoroughly reviewed. All submitted applications arereviewed for consideration.
Physical Agility Test and Written Pre-Employment Examination
Those applying for positions that require a physical agilitytest and/or written examination will be notified via phone, mail or email. Thephysical agility test consists of five events and is only required for thecommissioned deputy positions. For details, click here.
Those who pass the tests and are approved to proceed in the hiring process arecalled and an interview is arranged. Those not approved to proceed receive anotification in the mail.
Oral Interview Board
This interview, which typically lasts 30-45 minutes, gives us a chance to meetthe person behind the application and to better familiarize you with the stepsbeing taken to fill a particular position. One to three people conduct interviewsfor every position. The same interview questions are asked of all applicantsfor the same position.
After oral interviews are completed, applicants are again graded. The oralinterview score and written examination score are combined into an aggregatescore. The aggregate scores are then ranked.
Depending on the circumstances, top candidate(s) are sent a Conditional Offerof Employment (Note: this is NOT a final job offer). Candidates who are notselected are also notified of the final outcome of the application process.
Conditional Offer of Employment
Applicants receiving a conditional offer must complete a PersonalHistory Statement and agree to undergo a series of evaluations, including (insequential order):
- Criminal Records Check, where we review the applicant's criminalhistory.
- Polygraph Examination, where applicants are asked to undergo apolygraph examination by a certified polygraph examiner on our staff. After thepolygraph session is completed, the examiner writes up a report which is laterreviewed.
- Credit Check Background Investigation, in which a backgroundinvestigator will do further research and conduct some interviews about theapplicant. Once this is completed, the investigator writes up a report which islater reviewed.
- Psychological Evaluation (Deputy positions only), performed byan examiner used by the Jerome County Sheriff's Office.
- Medical Examination (Deputy positions only), If this isrequired, you will receive a form which must be filled out by your own doctorand submitted to the Jerome County Sheriff's Office Human Resources. Medicalexams are done at the physician of your choice, but also at your own cost.
Once these steps have been completed, the Human ResourcesManager, Sheriff, Captain, and Lieutenant give their recommendations as to whoshould be hired.
Feel free to contact the JCSO at:
2151 S Tiger Drive
Jerome, Idaho 83338